The holiday season is a joyous time of gathering with friends and family, enjoying delicious food and exchanging gifts. Unfortunately, many people find their holiday to be an abundance of busyness, stress and fatigue. This can take a huge toll on your health and well-being. This holiday take these steps to keep your body healthy and invigorated, and avoid feeling worn out and stressed:
- Start the day off right with some warm water and a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime. The heavy eating at holiday time makes many people’s digestive systems get out of which leaves you feeling fatigued and ill. You know the feeling when you are saying, “Oh, I can’t believe I just ate that…… (fill in the blank) I feel so yucky.” Warm water and lemon or lime juice every morning stimulates your digestive system and promotes healthy liver function. (Remember, the liver is what processes everything that you eat and drink!) The warm water and lime/lemon juice mixture also helps cleanse the bowels and restores electrolyte balance –which helps ease anxiety and stress.
- Make sure you are taking your probiotics. Remember that all those sweet treats and drinks are going to feed the bad bacteria in your digestive system and create an environment that could possibly crowd out the good bacteria. That imbalance can cause all sorts of stress to your body. Probiotics are live microorganisms (in most cases, bacteria) that are similar to the beneficial microorganisms naturally found in the human gut. These “good bacteria” prevent and alleviate many different conditions but particularly those that affect the gastrointestinal tract. They are particularly good at regulating the amount of healthy bacteria in your system and normalizing bowel movements.
- If you have to, do sweet foods and drinks in moderation. We are all not perfect and it can be very tempting with the abundance of food available during the holidays. If you have to eat or drink something loaded with sugar, just take a small amount– don’t consume the whole thing. Your body will thank you.
- Spend a few minutes a day jumping on a rebounder. Rebounding is a very effective exercise to get your blood flowing and detoxify your body. All it takes is as few as five minutes of jumping on rebounder (also known as a mini-trampolene) daily to promote healthy circulation and eliminate toxic waste. Jumping up and down on the rebounder will help activate the flow of lymphatic fluid, which accumulates toxins and other waste.
- Make time for yourself to keep yourself sane. When your schedule is book solid with activities, it’s easy to go from one activity to the next without ever taking a break. Your mind and body needs moments of rest throughout your day just to keep yourself sane. Do what means rest and relaxation for you for a few minutes each day: take a short walk, call a friend and say hi, meditate on the simpler things in life.
- Make sure you get plenty of vitamin D. Vitamin D is crucial for maintaining proper hormone regulation and immunity, both can get severely compromised during the holiday season.
- Make realistic goals, and spend time with loved ones daily! When planning your holiday activities, set realistic goals. We have a tendency to take on too many tasks over the holidays that just don’t get accomplished, which leads to feeling stressed and discouraged. Ask yourself, what you can do in advance, like prep a meal, tick off some of your things on your shopping lists, and any other routine tasks.Most of all? Incorporate fun into your daily routine, especially if you are spending the holidays with family or friends. Take the time to unwind, de-stress and laugh together. That may be just the most effective holiday “medicine” you can take.
- After the holidays, consider doing a body detox with our gentle 21-day Purification Program. The Standard Process Purification Program helps your body purify and rebuild itself from the inside out. The program gives you a structured plan for purifying, nourishing and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. After you’ve completed the program, you’ll be amazed at how good you find yourself feeling. Find out how toxic you are and learn more about the Purification Program.